When the icons on an iPad are shaking or wiggling, it usually means that the device is in “jiggle mode,” which allows you to rearrange apps or delete them. To stop the icons from shaking, you need to exit this mode. Here’s how to do it:
- Press the Home Button: If your iPad has a Home button, simply press it once. The icons should stop shaking, indicating that you have exited edit mode.
- Tap Done in the Top Right Corner: For iPads without a Home button, or if you are using a newer version of iOS/iPadOS, there should be a “Done” button on the top right corner of the screen (in the status bar). Tap it to exit jiggle mode.
- Tap on an Empty Space: You can also try tapping on an empty area of the screen (not on an app icon or any controls) to exit jiggle mode.
- Use the Gesture: On newer iPads with gesture control, you can usually exit jiggle mode by doing a swipe-up gesture from the bottom of the screen, which takes you to the Home screen or App Library.
If the icons continue to shake even after you’ve tried these steps, there may be an issue with your iPad’s software or touchscreen. Here are some additional steps you can take:
- Restart Your iPad: Press and hold the top button until the power off slider appears. Drag the slider, then wait for your device to turn off. After the iPad turns off, press and hold the top button again until you see the Apple logo.
- Update iPadOS: Go to
Software Updateto check for available updates, and install any that are available.
- Reset Settings: If the issue persists, you can try resetting all settings (this will not erase your data). Go to
Resetand tap on
Reset All Settings.
If the problem continues after these troubleshooting steps, you may want to contact Apple Support for further assistance.